So basically the girls spanked the science fair this year...no thanks to me. I had great ideas for the projects I wanted them to do. And they had totally different ideas....Turns out their different ideas were the best. Cami won second place and Taryn won first place and got to go to the district science fair.
Cami's project was about if I person reads faster on bigger or smaller pages. She got two similarly leveled magazine stories and sized one small and left one regular sized. Then she timed people's words per minute. She discovered people do read faster with a bigger page and her hypothesis was correct. And somehow I didn't get a single picture of her with her ribbon and poster dang it! But it was fabulous and interesting. She is really learning about comparing and analyzing and it is fun to watch her think....
Taryn's project was a twist on a project they did in class. In her class they put carnations in water with food coloring and the plants absorbed the colors. She wanted to repeat that and we told her she had to do one that she hadn't done before...so she asked if she could do the project with smell instead of color. She got flowers and watered them everyday with water mixed with 5 different essential oils and one plain water. After a week she had people smell the flowers and see if they smelled like anything other than a flower smell. He hypothesis was incorrect and the flowers did not absorb the smells like they did the color. It turned out to be really interesting. And she worked REALLY hard typing the whole darn thing up for like 3 hours....(so it was good she won to show her that hard work pays off). She spent the day at the district science fair reading Percy Jackson and answering judges questions....I don't think she was too impressed with it all, especially because she didn't win anything there, but I was impressed with her.
Both girls did great and worked hard and I am glad that they both have had the learning opportunities that they have this year. They both have had great teachers that helped them think and learn and develop.
Taryn at district with her poster....and kindle....
My beautiful smarty pants!


No comments:
Post a Comment