Monday, March 23, 2015

Entraprenuer of the Year...that would be Brent (and Daryl)

Brent and Daryl Zitting....their was a video that went with this but my mad computer skills won't allow it to be posted....oh well....

So you all (as in the two people who read this and future posterity) might not know but the last few years have been stressful.....VERY STRESSFUL....Life took some turns and it wasn't in the direction that I ever planned on traveling.
Brent has always wanted to start his own business since his first day in BYU MBA school. I have always wanted a really secure peacefully employed spouse. I married an engineer after all...then I talked him into going to business school.... I got what I wanted for the first several years of Brent's career. Ford paid well and had great benefits and life was awesome for me. Brent was always bored and felt like a small fish in a really big sea. Not awesome.
 So we jumped ship and headed to GES. It was less optimal for me in some ways...there wasn't a gym to work out in close proximity to our house and the housing market in Las Vegas was crazadilly so we ended up renting a house instead of buying one...but I still got to be home with the girls doing what I wanted to do so it was good. Brent got bored again quickly again since it was all business and no engineering. He found a new exciting job and we jumped ship again and moved to St George.
It was nice for me to be close to my family and Brent's family and the warm weather works wonders for my Stills Disease. And we had just been in our horrific car accident and so we really appreciated having family close by to help when I needed it. Let me say I am really thankful we were able to live everywhere we have lived and gotten to know the people we have. We were where we needed to be at the time. And now we have been blessed to be here.
Brent's job in St George was exciting...too exciting...He worked at least 80-90 hours a week, sometimes more. If I wanted the kids to be able to see him we would take a picnic dinner to his office and eat there. I suddenly felt like a single parent and even when Brent was home he was soo tired he just wanted to do nothing. And there was always the little question in the back of our heads of whether we would get paid or not or how stable the job was...BUT work was fun and he was HAPPY and challenged every day....and there was always something new to think up and work on and the start up he worked for was small so he got to feel and fall in love with the small business atmosphere....But as most start ups do it ran out of money. They asked employees to stick around...they wanted to keep their employees as soon as they got more funding....So Brent hung around and played video games for three weeks.....And you know owning your own business doesn't look so scary after the start up then video games.... :)
So Brent and one of the guys he met at the start up decided to start up their own business....
That was like 5 years ago and they have since started several businesses (first witting innovations then cannibal cycles and cp500 and now smart tank) and worked like crazy men and we have lived a very simple life style....There has been stress and living off savings and it hasn't been my ideal situation of a cushy secure paycheck. But Brent has been home more and we feel more like a family again...I still get to stay home with the kids and to make it interesting we added two more kids during all this. And Brent is HAPPY.... I am so proud of what Brent and Daryl have done.
During a time when the whole economy was in the crapper they have started successful businesses and created jobs for several families and paid them a good living wage. They didn't get hand outs or favors from anyone. They built these businesses  by sweat and blood and tears and will power and smarts and prayers. They have lived on less and paid their dues. Finally, financially this year has been better and less stressful.
They are in the process of starting a new business and we were surprised to learn they won an award from the chamber of commerce called something like entrepreneur of the year for their second business Cannibal Cycles.....We got to go to a fancy dinner and dress up...It almost felt like prom except I am twenty years older and my body has busted out four kids....Anyway, it was a really great evening but it was most great that Brent and Daryl finally got a little recognition for all their hard work.
 And just for the record....After the first few years, owning your own business isn't as stressful and end of life as I expected....It's all good....but I am knocking on wood....that's also just part of owning your own business....Enjoy the good and be prepared if things change....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Brent is so brave and you are amazing to be so upbeat through all the tough times! Love ya and think you're the best! Hopefully he stays happy and you get to stay home to enjoy your awesome family!