Somehow I don't have any pictures of this day but this was an awesome memory and I don't want to forget...SO one morning I was vacuuming the house. Jocelyn was coloring on her bed in her room and Creed was following me around. Jocelyn comes running out telling me there was a lizard in her room...I thought ya right, how would a lizard get in the house?....So I told her to close her door and I would check her room when I got to it vacuuming...
I vacuum down the hall and get to her door which she has barricaded with books so the lizard can't escape under the door crack...I tell her I will go look and she tells me it is a green lizard with spots and it is "this big" and it ran behind the bed by the wall...hmmm that is a lot of detail.... I think "maybe she really did see something."
So I go in and look in the crack by the bed and see nothing. I look a little more and then I hear little claws on the wall...I almost scream I was so startled but I suck it up really fast since I don't want Jocelyn to freak out... I go out in the hall and re barricade the door and call Brent to ask him how to catch a lizard...He laughs and says good luck!
I think... OK... I can totally do this... but man I don't want to.... and man that bed is oak how am I going to move it? I realize my animal loving niece is in town and my brother is probably home at my mom's. I call my mom's house to see if my brother and niece will "help scoot out the bed."
I am secretly hoping my animal loving niece has love that extends to lizards. I find an old strawberry container to put the offending lizard in so we can let it go outside again and situate it on the dresser wide open and ready...They come over and we move the bed out. No visible lizard..
There is all kinds of craft projects, hair accessories, candy wrappers, and plain old trash stashed between the bed and the wall. I get out the broom and sweep it all out. I vacuum the crack out and we are all wondering if it ran to the other side of the room while we were cleaning...As we stand there and talk I bend down to pick up an empty lotion bottle that was on the floor and staring back at me is a green lizard with white spots that was "this long." I scream a startle scream and whisper "it is right there" and my mom jumps out of the bedroom tripping over the vacuum.
Lauren just walks over and tries to grab it. Man that sucker was fast! It ran across the bed and under the covers. Lauren luckily was hot on its trail and caught it pretty fast. Into the strawberry container it went. The drama was over or so I thought.
I have to leave to go get the older girls from school and I put the container on the passenger seat. There is a river and a trail and scrubby lands by the school and I think the lizard will be happy there. The whole way over to the school I hear little clawing, scurrying feet. As I pull into a parking stall all the sudden there is silence. With a feeling of complete dread I look over and the container is empty.
After all the drama catching the dang thing it is lose in my car. I think man I have to catch this quick before the girls get out of school or they will FREAK out...just like me.
I find it on the floor by the passengers seat and get a letter that was left in the car and try to push it into the container using the paper so I don't have to touch it. It bolts under the seat.
At this point I look over my shoulder and see a mom and teenage boy in their car two stalls down. I wimp out and go ask the boy if he likes lizards....What do you know he loves them and is EXCITED to come and get the little guy out of the car.
But that dang lizard is fast and the boy chases it all over the car before catching in an empty Pringles can that his mom has brought over (she was encouraging and cheering him on). They were so excited to take the lizard home and put it in their yard... I was so excited to not take it home and not have it anywhere close....So in summary Jocelyn is very observant with her wild life, Lauren is very brave, and don't put lizards in old strawberry containers because they can escape. AND expect a two hour delay at bedtime while your four year old processes lizards in her bedroom...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment