I really love the school the girls go to because it does a great job of providing extra projects for kids who need them. This year both girls were given the opportunity to do a "great brain" project. Basically it was a full blown research project on any topic they wanted. Cami started the project but it was long and she got too busy reading good books...Taryn however totally surprised me with her perseverance to do the whole project. She worked so hard that it was amazing!-She is only in kindergarten remember.
We chose the topic of germs because she was curious about whether she REALLY needed to wash her hands as much as I made her after we had Creed. She came up with 20 questions she wanted to find the answers to. We checked out lots of library books and I made her do the reading while I took some notes. She interviewed me as an expert on germs since I am an RN.
We got permission (thanks to Uncle Mark pulling some strings) to tour the microbiology lab at the hospital. She was totally fascinated by all the worms from poop, the pee tests, and the stinky smell....It was a cool experience for her and the staff were really nice to show her what they did with germs. She looked up articles and pictures on the Internet. She wrote a report complete with a bibliography. Then she created a TV show and a poster. She drew about a million pictures and taped them all together. We then covered a box in tin foil and made rollers to scroll through the pictures. She presented the TV show to her school class and did such a great job.
Despite her hard times with making words, she has no problem public speaking. She just stood up there with the microphone and nailed it. I was so proud. Schooling in some ways is much harder for Taryn but she does really well purely because she is willing to work hard and stick to it. I love that about her and she truly does have a GREAT brain!
Taryn got to wear a lab coat so she didn't bring any germs home and she got a kick out of it. When she presented her project to her class she insisted on wearing her dress up scrubs...
Thumbs up baby! Nothing like a nice dish of germs! We owe Uncle Mark BIG TIME!
No comments:
Post a Comment