Sunday, July 04, 2010

Swimming lessons

So after last summers bad teacher experience and kids not learning squat at swimming lessons I opted for a different approach. I found a lady who teaches in her backyard. She had small class sizes, a teenager helping her, and she does the water certification classes for the scouts so I figured we'd give her a try. WOW! What a difference a year and a new teacher makes. She is a very "firm" lady who is not for the those without a stout heart; however, she wasn't unkind at all and my kids learned A TON! We took from her all of June and we will in August again. Taryn totally bonded with Keith and Kennedy (her helpers). She wants to have them over for play dates. It was a good experience this time. The only down side was the pool was stinkin' cold the whole time...which is usually great since this is St George but summer was slow getting here and I was pretty sure my little no insulation girls were having hypothermia. Anyway it was all good by the end of June.

Taryn in the back float death grip...actually it looked like holding someone in c-spine for those of you familiar with that. But they did learn to float better this way.


Taryn advancing past the death grip back float.


Taryn actually swimming (for reals) across the pool under water.


Cami being brave enough to swim across the pool too.


Cami working on keeping her head between her arms. This is totally a way more effective way to swim/teach kids to swim.


This is what Jocelyn and I did during the lessons. She is such a happy go lucky kiddo...and yes she is very fair and sunburns at the drop of a hat....

1 comment:

Haven said...

So who is she, where is she, what does she charge? That's amazing!